Following the Kaizen philosophy of continuous improvement, National Paper Products Company adopts Total Productive Maintenance to eliminate waste by improving all functions and standardized activities and processes.
Aligned with National Paper Products Company strategy and business objectives, Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) offers a structured and quantifiable methodology to reach operational excellence. TPM at National Paper Products Company builds a ‘continuous improvement’ culture and involves all employees, from top management to front line workers at the plant.
National Paper Products Company began implementation of the TPM program in November 2012, with the cooperation of INDEVCO Flexible Packaging Business Development Office.
TPM allows National Paper Products Company to better utilize maintenance and production resources, improving uptime and machine availability by reducing machine breakdown and unpredictability. The paper packaging manufacturer can better sustain process capacity and optimize machines to operate at designed capacity, while taking a proactive approach to foresee and solve possible problems before any impact productivity.
National Paper Products Company aims to improve Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) through effective asset management, and achieve zero defects, breakdowns, losses, and work-related accidents. TPM, also known as Total Productive Manufacturing and Total Process Management, creates a safe and pleasant working environment, boosting employee productivity and morale.
Raja Bahsa, National Paper Products Company General Manager, states,
“In line with our commitment to boost the operational excellence standards, TPM is being introduced to improve assets utilization and productivity, by making processes more reliable and less wasteful.
NPPC objective is to continuously thrive in improving operational conditions by stimulating the daily awareness of all employees.”
TPM goals and outcomes span across 6 categories:
1- Productivity/Production: Achieve OEE
· Improve labor productivity
· Attaining effective man-hours
· Run machines during all working hours
2- Quality: Achieve Zero Defects
· Analyze customer complaints & warranty returns
· Analyze in-house rejections
· Analyze in-house rework
· Analyze incoming material inspection / rejection
3- Cost: Reduce Manufacturing Cost
· Increase OEE
· Cycle time reduction in bottleneck machines
· Enhance machines / equipment lifespan
4- Delivery: Achieve Customer Satisfaction
· Increase OEE
· Improve bottleneck machine/process
5- Safety: Achieve Zero Accident Level
· Provide training on machine operations
· Identify unsafe actions and locations and take corrective actions to avoid accidents
· Motivate operating personnel through involvement and participation
· Analyze past accidents and near miss accidents through why-why analysis and improve working conditions
6- Morale: Increase Operation Staff Morale
· Involvement and participation in circle activities
· Develop multi-skilled and flexible workers.
· Encourage generating “Kaizens” and reward for carried-out suggestions and improvements
About National Paper Products Company
National Paper Products Company, located in Dammam, Saudi Arabia, meets customer paper packaging needs in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Established since 1956, National Paper Products Company was the first manufacturing plant of paper bags, cement bags, tissue rolls, and plastic crates in Saudi Arabia.