Phoenix– ASACO to work on Beirut River Solar Snake (BRSS) project, promoting a national movement towards the implementation of solar technologies for electricity production.
Lebanese Ministry of Energy and Water and the Lebanese Center for Energy Conservation (LCEC) named the joint venture Phoenix – ASACO bid winner for the Beirut River Solar Snake (BRSS) Project Phase I. As the largest solar project executed in Lebanon, the BRSS will cover 7 km of Beirut River with photovoltaic (PV) panels to generate 10 MW of energy and provide electricity for 10,000 houses.
Sister companies Phoenix Energy, renewable energy products supplier, and Phoenix Machinery, machine manufacturer, partner with ASACO and will work with Lebanese contractors Dallal, PBB to effectively implement the largest project. The participation and commitment of the private sector in the project will help meet the National Energy Efficiency Action Plan’s (NEEAC) target of installing around 200 MW of solar farms by 2020.
Beirut River Solar Snake (BRSS) Project
The first phase of the BRSS project will commence with the installation of one photovoltaic (PV) farm of 1MW on the Beirut River. Phoenix – ASACO expect to complete phase one by end 2014. The grid will be connected to and support Electricite du Liban (EDL). Lebanese Ministry of Energy and Water provided the funding through the Lebanese Center for Energy Conservation (LCEC).
After the project is complete all cumulative revenues will be collected and used to prepare for the construction of additional solar plants of up to 10 MW, which will cover the entire river of Beirut and provide electricity for 10,000 houses without any costs for EDL.
Beirut River Solar Snake (BRSS) Project Phase 1 - Highlighted Technical Specifications
- PV Farm Capacity: 1.08 Mega Watts Peak (MWp)
- PV Farm Length: 325 meters spanning across the river through a span of 30 meters. It is a fully suspended design with no obstruction in the river
- Generate 1,655 Mega Watt Hour per year (MWhr/yr)
- Use 3600 poly christaline PV panels supplied by the partner of Phoenix Energy and Yingli Energy, the number one PV panel manufacturer in the world
- Include a full weather station with data logging capacity
- Feature state-of-the-art structural design, unique in the Middle East, combining a primary concrete structure and a secondary steal structure
- Consist of a display panel visible to the public showing the current production, the savings in KWhr and in carbon emissions, the positive environmental impact of the project
- Provide 100% availability, thus able to run 365 days of the year without interruption, as the maintenance of the plant could be carried after sunset
- Incorporate a remote monitoring system with remote trouble shooting
- Use 60 inverters with an expandable topology, designed in a decentralized manner
- Feature High-level security with a 3 meter fencing around the plant and CCTV cameras in addition to around the clock security personnel
BRSS Bid Evaluation Criteria
LCEC and the Lebanese Ministry of Energy and Water launched the BRSS Project expression of interest (EOI) bid in April 2013 . With 25 out of 56 interested companies bidding for the project, only 11 companies passed the technical stage. 5 companies entered the final stage and Phoenix – ASACO joint venture won the bid based on technical know-how, vast experience, commitment to the overall objective of the project, and best price.
The criteria for choosing the winner included:
- At least 200 kW of solar PV projects that are in operation or reached financial closure in the past 5 years
- Revenue (turnover) of at least 2 Million USD per year;
- A qualified and professional team dedicated to the successful implementation of the project
- Membership to the World Energy Council (WEC) Lebanon Committee
About Phoenix Group
Phoenix Group companies in Lebanon include Phoenix Machinery and Phoenix Energy. Phoenix headquarters, as well as both companies are located in Safra, Lebanon.
Phoenix Machinery manufactures hygiene and tissue converting machines, and CNC components and machined parts, as well as develops and integrates machinery automation, process automation and power distribution solutions.
Phoenix Energy, Supplier of renewable energy products, such as solar water heaters, wind turbines, biomass boilers for domestic & commercial use, PV Systems, Solar Street Lights and manufacturer of minced solid bio-fuels